The Face Research Lab is run by Ben Jones and Lisa DeBruine and is based in the Institute of Neuroscience and Psychology at the University of Glasgow.
Our research on face perception has been funded by the ERC (Europe), ESRC (UK), Wellcome Trust (UK), National Science Foundation (USA), Nuffield Foundation (UK), and NSERC (Canada).
Face perception: social, neuropsychological and comparative perspectives, the special issue of Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B guest edited by Anthony Little, Benedict Jones and Lisa DeBruine, is now available online.
Visit FaceResearch.org, our online psychology testing website where the Face Research Lab is running a number of short, interesting online psychology experiments about face and voice preferences. It was recently listed by the New York Times as one of the Best Online Psychology Tests. You can also learn about the technology we use for face research.
- 01 May 2013 » Ben gave a talk at the University of Cambridge's Biological Anthropology department.
- 26 April 2013 » Congratulations to Michal Kandrik, who was awarded an ESRC Studentship to complete his PhD in our lab.
- 24 April 2013 » Congratulations to Amanda, who successfully defended her PhD and is now Dr Hahn.
- 23 April 2013 » Congratulations to Ieva Zeromskaite, who has been awarded a Wellcome Trust Biomedical Vacation Scholarship to work in the lab over the summer.
- 25 March 2013 » The lab presented 1 talk and 3 posters at the 2013 EHBEA conference in Amsterdam.
- 18 February 2013 » Lisa has progressed to the final round of the ERC Starting Grants competition.
- 15 February 2013 » Lisa was shortlisted for a British Academy Wolfson Research Professorship.
- 30 January 2013 » Lisa and Corey are both speaking about the Behavioral Immune System today at the the University of Dundee's Evolution and Behavior Workshop.
- 24 January 2013 » Ben is giving a talk as part of the Vision@UCL seminar series today on the lab's work on pathogens, fertility and mate preferences.
- 14 January 2013 » Lisa has been appointed Deputy Editor of the Journal of Evolutionary Psychology and as an Associate Editor of the British Journal of Psychology.
- 13 January 2013 » Several of our papers on individual differences in mate preferences are listed in Elsevier journals' updated lists of the most cited articles since 2008. These journals include Evolution and Human Behavior and Personality and Individual Differences.
- 20 December 2012 » Ben and Lisa have been appointed as members of the ESRC's Peer Review College.
- 09 December 2012 » Congratulations to Chris Watkins, who was awarded his PhD today with no corrections. Chris has a permanent lectureship at University of Abertay.
- 26 November 2012 » Congratulations to Rowan Tinlin, who recently completed an MRes working in the Face Research Lab and will graduate with a Distinction.
- 14 November 2012 » We have a new paper demonstrating the importance of vulnerability to disease for individual differences in men's mate preference in press with Biological Psychology.
- 23 October 2012 » Congratulations to our new MSc student, Michal Kandrik, on having his first paper accepted!
- 18 September 2012 » We have had two new papers demonstrating links between pathogens and mate preferences accepted for publication in Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology and Behavioral Ecology.
- 07 September 2012 » Our event at the British Science Festival, Dating, Mating and Relating, is fully booked.
- 03 September 2012 » Lisa has been invited to join the Editorial Board of the British Journal of Psychology as an Associate Editor, starting January 2013.
- 10 August 2012 » Congratulations to Jovana Vukovic, our former PhD student, who has accepted a tenure-track Assistant Professor position at West Texas A&M University. Jovana will start her new job in January 2013.
- 01 August 2012 » We are delighted to welcome Amanda Hahn to the lab. She has started a 5-year postdoctoral position on our ERC-funded project.
- 20 July 2012 » Lisa was featured in an article on Science's Careers website on How to Collaborate.
- 16 July 2012 » A paper reporting our recent work on sociosexuality and partnership status with Don Sacco has been accepted for publication in Personality and Individual Differences.
- 12 July 2012 » There is an interesting article in Scientific American that features Corey Fincher's work on pathogens and sociality.
- 07 July 2012 » We are delighted to welcome Claire Fisher to the lab. Claire will be working as a research assistant on our ERC project.
- 01 July 2012 » We were recently awarded 1.35 million euros by the European Research Council (ERC) for a five-year project to further explore the effects of endogenous and exogenous hormones on various aspects of face perception. This project starts on 1 July 2012.
- 16 June 2012 » Lisa was awarded the Human Behavior and Evolution Society's Early Career Award for Distinguished Scientific Contribution at the annual conference in New Mexico (USA).
- 04 June 2012 » Congratulations to our postgraduate student Chris Watkins, who has been offered a full-time, permanent lectureship at University of Abertay. Chris will take up his new position in September.
- 27 April 2012 » Our paper on the link between women's testosterone levels and face preferences is currently one of Hormones and Behaviour's ten most cited papers from the last five years. Ben's paper with Tony Little on the effect of menstrual cycle phase on women's preferences for masculine male body shapes is also on the same list.
- 25 April 2012 » Our paper on kin recognition with our colleague, Danny Krupp, has been accepted for publication at Journal of Evolutionary Biology.
- 01 February 2012 » We welcome Corey Fincher, our new ESRC-funded postdoctoral research fellow.
- Older news »