The Face Research Lab is run by Ben Jones and Lisa DeBruine and is based in the Institute of Neuroscience and Psychology at the University of Glasgow.
Our research on face perception has been funded by the ERC (Europe), ESRC (UK), Wellcome Trust (UK), National Science Foundation (USA), Nuffield Foundation (UK), and NSERC (Canada).
Visit FaceResearch.org, our online psychology testing website where the Face Research Lab is running a number of short, interesting online psychology experiments about face and voice preferences. It was recently listed by the New York Times as one of the Best Online Psychology Tests. You can also learn about the technology we use for face research.
Face perception: social, neuropsychological and comparative perspectives, the special issue of Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B guest edited by Anthony Little, Benedict Jones and Lisa DeBruine, is now available online.
- 18 October 2013 » Our lab's display for Glasgow Science Centre's Biology Week attracted many enthusiastic visitors, who got to experience the evidence by taking part in face perception tests and playing with our face averaging demos.
- 04 October 2013 » Lisa's new blog post at Research the Headlines explains the bizarre story behind that Daily Mail article.
- 25 September 2013 » Several websites have been reporting that we made an image of the average woman from many different countries. However, we were not involved in making these images. They were created by Collin Spears using our online face averager.
- 24 September 2013 » We are delighted to welcome our new postgraduate students, Hongyi Wang, Jaimie Torrance, Stephanie Unger and
Haojiang Ying, to the lab.
- 09 September 2013 » We are delighted to welcome Joanna Wincenciak to the lab. Joanna is an ESRC-funded post doc who will be studying the relationship between mate preferenecs and choices.
- 02 September 2013 » Congratulations to Michal Kandrik, who has been awarded his MRes with Distinction. Michal will now begin an ESRC-funded PhD in the lab.
- 30 July 2013 » We have a new paper on face preferences in rural Bangladesh in press at Evolution and Human Behavior.
- 22 July 2013 » Our lab gave five talks at HBES in Miami and had a great time. It was a very good meeting.
- 10 July 2013 » With Tony Little and David Feinberg, we have a new paper on shared representations of facial and vocal masculinity in press with Psychological Science.
- 07 July 2013 » Congratulations to Claire Fisher, whose paper on pathogen disgust and responses to cues of facial adiposity is now in press with Personality and Individual Differences. This is Claire's first paper!
- 01 June 2013 » Lisa was appointed as a temporary editor at Evolution and Human Behavior.
- Older news »